- The new owner will receive an official personalised Kennel Club owner registration certificate
- You can register for an account which provides help and tips throughout your dog's life, plus exclusive offers for you and your dog
- You may also be eligible for a five weeks of free pet insurance
Terms and conditions
- The application must be completed by the new owner, unless accompanied by an export pedigree application
- The application must be signed by the previous owner(s)
- The new owner must hold and retain the registration certificate signed by the previous Kennel Club registered owner, unless the application is submitted by post
- An application cannot be accepted if any alterations or deletions are made to the names of the previous or new owners
- Once the application has been processed, the new registration certificate will be despatched, usually within 28 working days of receipt of the application
- Any associated products or services will be sent separately
- Please ensure all information is accurately completed and all required signatures are present, as queries with your application may cause delay
Frequently asked questions
I do not have the unique ownership code. Can I still apply for the change of ownership?
Unfortunately for security reasons we are not able to issue the unique ownership code to anyone other than the current registered owner of the dog. Please contact the breeder, or the persons from whom you purchased the dog and request the correct details.
The breeder has not provided me with a form 6. Can I still change the ownership?
The form 6 is a required document. Without this, you will be unable to change the ownership.
Does this mean I am the legal owner of my dog?
The Kennel Club registration does not equate to legal ownership. This application is to confirm the change in Kennel Club registered ownership.
My form 6 has not been signed by the previous owner. Can I still apply for the change of ownership?
Applications will not be accepted if the previous registered owner has not signed the application form.
Can I register my dog in joint ownership?
Kennel Club registered dogs can be recorded in joint ownership, providing all new owners agree to the terms and conditions and code of ethics.
My dog is registered on the Activity Register. Can I still change the ownership?
You can change the ownership of a dog on the Activity Register. The application is located on the reverse of your dog's registration certificate
Can I change my dog's registered name?
Please be advised that the Kennel Club name does not need to be the same as the pet name of the dog. If you wish to change the dog's name, please complete a form 7 - change of registered name. The breeder needs to sign the application to agree to the change of name and the application needs to be received within three months of registration.
Can I add my kennel name to my dog's name?
You can apply to add your kennel name to an existing dog's name, providing a name change has not already taken place, or the dog's name is not published in the stud book. The ownership of the dog must match the ownership of the kennel name.
I have changed my dog's microchip details into my name. Does this also change the Kennel Club registered ownership?
No. The microchip keeper change is a separate application to The Kennel Club change of registered ownership.
I have mislaid my dog's registration certificate. Can I order a duplicate?
Providing you are the registered owner of the dog, you can order a duplicate registration certificate.
The registration certificate has arrived today, but the pedigree certificate I ordered is not with it. Will this arrive separately?
The registration certificate is sent under separate cover to the pedigree certificate. Please allow up to 14 days for delivery for all documents from receipt of the application.
I forgot to order a pedigree certificate when I applied for change of ownership. Can I order this later?
You can order a pedigree certificate at any time, either online or over the phone.