- The owner will receive a Kennel Club Export Pedigree Certificate which will enable them import their dog with an overseas kennel club
- The application can be made on the new owners’ behalf by the breeder or an agent
- You may also order Five Generation Pedigrees or Enhanced Five Generation Pedigrees
- The certificate can be sent to the applicant, if the application is made by someone other than the registered owner
Terms and conditions
- The dog must be registered on The Kennel Club Breed Register
- The ownership of the dog must be registered to the overseas owner
- The dog must not be endorsed 'not eligible for export'
- Once the application has been approved, documents will be dispatched usually within 28 working days of receipt of the application
- Any associated products or services will be sent separately
- Please ensure all information is accurately completed as queries with your application may cause delays
Frequently asked questions
Do I need an Export Pedigree to travel abroad with my dog?
An Export Pedigree is not required to allow a dog to leave the United Kingdom or to travel abroad with your dog.
My dog is not yet registered in my name. Can I apply for an Export Pedigree?
While you can still submit an Export Pedigree application, it cannot be completed until the dog is registered in the new owner's name at an overseas address.
My dog is to be registered with the Irish Kennel Club/Guernsey Kennel Club/Kennel Club of Jersey. Do I need an Export Pedigree?
If your dog is to be registered with any of the above clubs, then you will not require an Export Pedigree, a certified Three Generation Pedigree is required instead.
Do I need a pet passport to apply for an Export Pedigree?
You do not need a pet passport to apply for an Export Pedigree, however you would require this when travelling abroad with your dog. It would be advisable to contact Defra for advice on taking your dog overseas.
My dog's records are endorsed X- not eligible for export pedigree. Can I apply?
While you can still submit an Export Pedigree application, it cannot be completed until the endorsement has been removed.
I am moving abroad with my dog, but do not wish to re-register with the overseas kennel club. Do I need an export pedigree?
You only need an Export Pedigree if you wish to re-register your dog with an overseas kennel club. However, it is advisable to notify The Kennel Club of your new address.