- Completely change the registered name of your dog
- New Registration Certificate will be printed free of charge confirming the dog's new name
Terms and conditions
- The application needs to be received within three months of registration
- The breeder needs to sign the application to agree to the change of name
- If the applicant is the new owner, the change of ownership application must be completed prior to applying, or must be submitted with this change of name application
- In the case of joint ownership, the applicant will be agreeing to any declarations on behalf of all joint owners
- All name changes will be published in the next applicable edition of the Breed Record Supplement
- Once the application has been processed, updated documentation will be despatched usually within 28 working days of receipt of the application
- Failure to complete the application correctly may result in the application being delayed
Frequently asked questions
I have changed my dog's name. Do I need to record this change with The Kennel Club?
Please be advised that The Kennel Club name does not need to be the same as the pet name of the dog.
I am no longer in contact with my dog's breeder. Can I apply for a change of name?
It is a condition of this application that the breeder(s) co-sign the application form. Failure to meet this requirement will result in the application being delayed or refused.
My dog was registered last year. Can I still apply?
The application needs to be received within three months of registration.
I only want to add my kennel name to the name chosen by the breeder. Do I need to apply for a change of name?
This application is for changes other than the addition of a kennel name. To add your kennel name, you will need to apply via form 8 - application to change the registered name by the addition of a kennel name.
My dog was bred in partnership with another party. Do both breeders need to sign?
In the case of joint ownership, any declarations must be signed by all relevant parties on postal applications. For online applications, the applicant will be agreeing to any declarations on behalf of all joint owners.
I am not the registered owner of my dog. Can I apply for a change of name?
If the applicant is the new owner, the change of ownership application must be completed prior to applying, or to be submitted with this change of name application.
What are the naming rules?
There are several rules to follow regarding the naming of dogs:
- A name must consist of more than one word but not exceed 24 letters (including a kennel name)
- A name which conflicts with an approved current kennel name granted to another person will not be accepted
- A registered name cannot be repeated within a breed
- The surname of the applicant is not acceptable
- Initials and numbers in figures are not acceptable and abbreviations may be disallowed
- Canine terms are not permissible e.g. 'dog', 'bitch', 'kennel', 'champion', 'Crufts' and specific names of breeds