When you purchase a dog that's registered with The Kennel Club, the breeder would have already recorded the dog's details with us and therefore the dog would be registered to the breeder. The person from whom you obtained the dog from should provide you with the registration information, which then allows you to change The Kennel Club's registered ownership into your name.
Why should I change my dog's registered ownership with The Kennel Club?
You should change the ownership as soon as possible, so that the correct information is recorded on our database. Additionally in order to show or breed from your dog, it must be registered in your name with The Kennel Club.
How do I change my dog's registered ownership with The Kennel Club?
New owners can change the registered ownership of their puppy online (form 6).
You can also fill out your form 6, which will be given to you by your breeder, then return it to The Kennel Club via the post (Please note that due to the current lockdown restrictions, the processing of postal applications will be severely impacted due to the closure of our offices and we would request that you do not send any postal applications to us).
If you have any questions on changing registered ownership with The Kennel Club, please contact us on 01296 318540.
More information on changing the registered ownership of your dog
When I change The Kennel Club's registered ownership, what will I receive?
- An official personalised owner registration certificate from The Kennel Club
- Free, invaluable advice and support throughout the life of your dog
- Opportunities to show and breed from your dog and maintain the pedigree line
- Four weeks’ free insurance for your dog is available to you to activate when you have completed the transfer of ownership.
Your registration fee helps support The Kennel Club Charitable Trust, making a difference for all dogs by funding a range of projects from science grants to welfare initiatives, all of which are giving dogs happier healthier lives.
How much does it cost to change?
There is a one-off fee of £17.
You can purchase additional items during the transfer.
These items include:
- Enhanced Five Generation Pedigree: This is an A3-sized pedigree certificate providing five generations of your dog's history. If any dogs are champions in the pedigree, they will be printed in red text
- Breed Record Supplement: The Kennel Club Breed Records Supplement (to the Stud Book) is a quarterly publication where all registration related applications are shown. This includes litters, transfer or ownership, change of name, exported and imported dogs, health results and many other related transactions from The Kennel Club. These are listed per breed and published per breed group. All applications entered on our database within each quarter make up each edition
Further registration services and information
How do I change the registered name of my dog?
The registered name of a dog is usually chosen by the breeder when they register the puppy. The breeder is the only person who is able to register a dog with The Kennel Club, and in order to complete registration they must select Kennel Club names for each puppy in the litter.
Please be advised that The Kennel Club name does not need to be the same as the pet name of the dog.
If you wish to change your dog's registered name, complete the online form to change the name of a registered dog (form 7). The breeder needs to sign the application to agree to the change of name and the application needs to be received within three months of registration.
How do I add my kennel name to my dog's name?
You can apply to add your kennel name to an existing dog's name in its registered ownership with The Kennel Club, providing a name change has not already taken place, or the dog's name is not published in the stud book.
To add your kennel name, the dog would need to have the same registered ownership with The Kennel Club as the kennel name. Complete the online form to attach your kennel name to the name of any dog(s) (form 8).
My dog has no registration papers but is a pedigree dog. Can I register my dog with The Kennel Club?
Yes, you can register your dog with The Kennel Club on the Activity Register.
If you wish your dog to be on the Breed Register, you would need to discuss with the breeder as they are the only person who can apply for this, and both parents would need to be registered on our Breed Register.