- Enables a dog to exhibit in any UK event licensed by The Kennel Club for which they are eligible
- Once granted, the ATC number is valid for the lifetime of the dog
- The application includes the option to record the dog's microchip information on the Petlog database
Terms and conditions
- Your dog must be registered with an appropriate overseas kennel club i.e. clubs that have full membership, associate membership or contract partnership of the FCI (Federation Cynologique Internationale)
- The breed must be recognised by The Kennel Club Breed Register
- The application must be accompanied by a certified Pedigree and Owner Certificate from the overseas kennel club, confirming the owner's details
- Upon completion, an email is sent to the applicant confirming the ATC number
- Once the application has been approved, documents will be dispatched usually within 28 working days of receipt of the application
- Please ensure all information is accurately completed. Queries with your application may cause delay
Frequently asked questions
Which dogs are eligible for an ATC number?
The dog must be a breed which is recognised on The Kennel Club Breed Register.
The dog must be registered with a kennel club with which The Kennel Club has a reciprocal agreement, or which has full membership, associate membership or contract partnership of the FCI.
I live in the UK. Can I apply for an ATC?
ATC applications are for exhibitors who reside abroad, who wish to show their dogs in the UK. If you reside in the UK, you must register your dog using form 4 - registration of an imported dog.
My dog is currently registered with the Irish Kennel Club/Guernsey Kennel Club/Kennel Club of Jersey. Can I apply for an ATC?
If your dog is registered with any if the above clubs and you wish to exhibit your dog in the UK, you can either apply for an ATC number or an import for exhibition only. For more information on import for exhibition only, please refer to form 4 - registration of an imported dog.
My dog is not registered with an overseas kennel club. Can I still apply for an ATC?
If the dog is not registered with an overseas kennel club with which The Kennel Club has a reciprocal agreement, or which has full membership, associate membership or contract partnership of the FCI, the dog will not be eligible for an ATC number. As an alternative, the dog can be registered on the Activity Register.
My dog resides overseas, but was bred in the UK and registered with The Kennel Club. Do I require an ATC number?
If your dog was registered with The Kennel Club, you will not require an ATC. You should use your dog's registration number for any show entries. Your dog will need to be registered with The Kennel Club under your name and address.
Do I need to re-apply for the ATC number each year?
Once granted, an ATC number is valid for the lifetime of the dog, even if the ownership changes.
My dog has an ATC number, registered to the previous owner. Do I need to re-apply for an ATC?
You do not need to re-apply for the ATC number, you would need to send us a copy of the Owner Registration Certificate confirming the new owner's details along with a covering letter and we will amend our records. The ATC number will remain the same.
What documentation do I need to provide with my application?
The Kennel Club requires an owner's document and a Three Generation Pedigree (showing the registered owner's name) for your dog issued by the appropriate overseas kennel club. The ownership on the pedigree must be identical to the applicant as stated on the application.
Do I need to provide the original pedigree/certificate from the overseas kennel club?
We do not require original documents, but request that only clear copies are uploaded. If the copies provided are not legible, this may delay your application.
Can I apply for shows prior to receiving my ATC certificate?
Upon completion of the ATC application, an email will be sent to the applicant with the ATC number. We are no longer sending physical certificates.
My dog is a champion. Can the title be recorded?
The Kennel Club will only record a title won at a national show from the country of origin. Please submit a copy of the award certificate with the application.
I am the registered owner of the dog, but the handler will be exhibiting the dog. Does the handler need to apply for the ATC?
The application for the ATC must be made by the registered owner of the dog. This will be who the ATC will be registered to.