Rytex Reba, a two-year-old bitch known as Pepsi, and her owner, Simon Dixon from Cleator Moor, Cumbria, have won the prestigious Kennel Club English Springer Spaniel Championship for 2017.
The competition, organised by the Spaniel Club and run on behalf of the Kennel Club, was sponsored by Roger Skinner Ltd, Marsdens Game Feeds and BASC. It was held at the Byrds Retreat, Worcestershire, by kind permission of Bob and Sonya Byrd and Harvington Shoot.
The Championship saw a total of 66 entries, demonstrating the outstanding quality of the working English Springer Spaniel in competitive gundog sports.
Simon, who also took third place with another of his dogs, FT Ch Dawsonlee Heather, said: “I was completely speechless. I couldn’t speak as I was trying so hard to hold back the tears. It was the best Championship I have ever been to. The run, ground, guns, birds and everything was just so well organised. The guns were competing dog lads so they knew how to shoot the birds well. The keeper did a brilliant job and the day was fantastic. I was very lucky to have had the opportunity to shine and both dogs did me proud.’’
The judges at the competition were John Dickson, Roy Ellershaw, Jack Iliffe and Dave Rayner who selected the following winners:
- 1st – Rytex Reba, owned and handled by Simon Dixon.
- 2nd – FT Ch Bishwell Black Magic of Breckmarsh, owned and handled by Lee Cooper.
- 3rd – FT Ch Dawsonlee Heather, owned and handled by Simon Dixon.
- 4th – Tailorsdrift Shadowland, owned and handled by Chris Morgan.
Gun’s Choice and the winner of a Diploma of Merit was FT Ch Lisgarvagh’s Jet, owned and handled by Ed McAuley.
Other Diploma of Merit winners were as follows:
- Whiznic Witch, owned and handled by Paul Thomas.
- FT Ch Bucklawren Krusoe, owned and handled by Simon Jones.
- FT Ch Rheastmooar Fizzy, owned and handled by Jon Bailey.
- FT Ch Broomfield Annie, owned and handled by Eddie Scott.
- Greenbrush Iced, owned and handled by William Edgar.
- FT Ch Biteabout Conquest of Wrenmarsh, owned and handled by Mark Watson.
- FT Ch Rytex Riggle, owned by John Heeley and handled by Ian Openshaw.
- Broomfield Lori, owned and handled by Paul Matthews.
- Willowsaul Joker, owned and handled by Andy Waterhouse.
- FT Ch Pitrahh Dirty Annie, owned and handled by Benjamin Watkins.
- FT Ch Grangecon Lad of Haresmoor, owned and handled by Malcolm Taylor.
- Buccleuch Hamish, owned and handled by James Dransfield.
- Edwardiana Butum at Moonreed, owned and handled by Martin Conway.
- FT Ch Boothys Bomber of Belvden, owned and handled by Mark Clifford.
- Int FT Ch Sliabh Treasure, owned and handled by Louis Rice.
- FT Ch Surefly Sassy, owned and handled by Terri Siwek.
- Helmsway Hero, owned and handled by Andrew Bennett.
- FT Ch Kilhopemoss Melody, owned and handled by James O’Connor.
- Boundarymoor Dinky, owned and handled by Nick Powell.
- FT Ch Rothievale Maple of Edgegrove, owned and handled by Jeremy Organ.
- FT Ch Dawsonlee Domino, owned and handled by Richard Wells.
Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary, said: “The Kennel Club English Springer Spaniel Championship was another successful event which showed off the working prowess of this popular and attractive breed. It was very encouraging to see so many dogs winning a Diploma of Merit, which is a sure indication that the standard of competition was very high. We send congratulations to Simon on his success with Pepsi and wish them all the very best for the future.”