The theme for your short story is ‘Brain Swap’
Your challenge this year is to write a poem or short story from your dog’s point of view! A day in the life of your dog, or maybe your dog competing at Crufts – what do you think your dog would say if they could talk and tell you of their adventures?
It’s time to ignite your imagination and set off on that adventure! Stories should be no longer than 800 words in length.
The winning story will need to spark the imagination and inspire the judges. Dogs must be included in the story and the judges will also be looking to see how well the theme has been incorporated.
The stories will be judged by age group (under 12 years, 12 years and over and over 18 years), with a winning story picked from each age group. The winner from each age group will receive a £25 book voucher - the perfect prize for any young booklover and aspiring author!
One lucky writer will be chosen to be the competition's overall winner. This exceptional young writer will have their story published in Fetch Magazine and win an Amazon Kindle.
How to enter
The competition closes on 31 August 2022.
Please include the following information with your entry: name, address, age and story title.
Our top tips
Read our top tips to get you started with your short story.
- Every story has a beginning, middle and end. But the secret to writing a great short story is to add something different to your tale; something that captures the reader’s interest.
- Brainstorm your ideas (who, what, why, where and when)
- Create your characters and setting
- Try writing your story onto one page first so you can pinpoint the main events
- Start strong. For example, a way capture the reader’s interest from the start could be with an unusual or unexpected event or situation)