Once you are ready to begin competing in canicross, the first step is to fill out an entry form from a schedule.
Find out more about both of these below.
A schedule is a small booklet of information detailing the show’s information, which also includes the entry form. It will list all the classes available, the competition organisers' information, the class definitions, the venue address and much more. These can be obtained free of charge from the competition organiser or by going to an online entry database such as the Trail Runners website.
Find a Show displays a list of competitions in your area as well as contact details of the competition organiser.
To enter a competition, you will need to find your way to the right part of the schedule, which has the entry form. From there you will need to select which race(s) you would like to enter - the schedule will always offer detailed definitions of each race.
Signing the entry form is important as it forms the contract between yourself and the organiser. By signing, you are declaring that your dog is fit and healthy to take part in the competition, and that you will abide by The Kennel Club's rules and regulations.
Before you can compete
Before you attend the competition there are a number of things you should remember to do.
Checklist of things to do
- Request a schedule from the competition organiser or take a look at an online entry system to preview a schedule there and select the race(s) you wish to enter
- Post your entry form together with your entry fee to the organiser before the closing date or enter your dog online via an online entry system
- Record details of the competition(s) and race(s) entered
- If your dog is showing any signs of illness, do not take it to the competition
- Read The Kennel Club rules and regulations
- If you have made a friend at training, ask them to attend your first event with you, so you can ask them any questions you may have
Things to take to the competition
- Water bowl and water
- Food for yourself and your dog
- Canicross record book
- Waterproof clothing
- Clothes for the day
- Proof of posting (if you posted your entry) or a printed copy of the confirmation email received from the online entry that was made
- Car park pass, if applicable
What to expect at the competition
When you arrive at the competition, you'll find yourself surrounded by running enthusiasts and their dogs. Here are some things to keep in mind on the day:
- Arrive at the venue with plenty of time to get your bearings
- Familiarise yourself with the course if possible
- Keep an eye on the timings so you don't miss your race
- Speak to fellow competitors and learn more about canicross
- Look around the event - you will find that there is so much to discover and learn
- Always clean up after your dog
- Always leave venues clean and tidy
Next step - competing in canicross
Once you have attended your first competition, you will have become a competitor. Find out everything you need to know about competing in canicross.