Good Citizen Dog Scheme Bronze Award Achievers have a chance to qualify for Crufts 2017 in the Pre-Beginner Obedience Stakes
The Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme Pre-Beginner Obedience Stakes were introduced in 2005. Their purpose is to encourage Bronze Award achievers to take part and enter the world of Obedience competition.
The stakes test is a combination of the current GCDS exercises and the Pre-Beginner Obedience test. Dogs must have obtained their Bronze Award prior to the closing date of the show.
To encourage participation from all breeds, each of the heats will offer one qualifying place to a Border Collie/Working Sheepdog, and one qualifying place to an ABC (Anything But a Collie). Rosettes and prize cards will be awarded, for 1st - 10th place in each heat.
In 2016, there will be 31 heats which are spread throughout the UK. Each stakes class or split class offers qualifying places to the 2 highest placed dogs. In the event of the 2 highest placed dogs being a BC/WSD an additional qualifying place will be awarded to the highest placed ABC. In the event of the 2 highest placed dogs being an ABC, an additional qualifying place will be awarded to the highest placed BC/WSD. The Southern Semi Final will be held at Discover Dogs on the 22nd and 23rd October 2016 at ExCeL, London and the Northern Semi Final in Penicuik ( South Edinburgh), Scotland on Sunday 30th October. The Grand Final will be held at Crufts on Saturday 11th March 2017.
Kennel Club's Good Citizen Dog Scheme Special Pre Beginner Obedience Stakes Competition Final - Results
Held at Crufts - Saturday 7th March 2015 - Judge Michael McCartney
- 1st - Babs Sharp & Jazzed Up (Malinois)
- 2nd - Radana Stewart & Ozzy Princess Of Darkness (Crossbreed)
- 3rd - Michelle Hurrell & Kenalure Climbing Rose (Cocker Spaniel)
- 4th - Diana Baroda & Kentrdecim Hearts Desire (Staffordshire Bull Terrier)
- 5th - Diane Carroll & Miss Jessie Bee (WSD)
Photographs and results from the 2014 semi-finals (from left to right)
- Janet Oliver - Judge
- 1st Victoria Main & Get Down And Bertie (Crossbreed)
- Chairman GCDS Working Party Maurice Cooke
- 2nd Peter Tenorowicz & Maural Charlie Boy (Cocker Spaniel)
- 3rd Karen Keating & Wish In the Mist (WSD)
- 4th Michelle Dakin & Jayrock Alabama Walking (Boston Terrier)
- 5th Peter Tenorowicz & Maural Dino (Cocker Spaniel)
- Janet Oliver - Judge
- 1st Babs Sharp and Jazzed Up (BSD)
- 2nd Rachel Chapman and Sherbert Tropical (GSD)
- 3rd Liz Daniell and Crystalar Destined to be (Standard Poodle)
- 4th Steve Baker and Tazeos Angraecum (BC) (Not in photo)
- 5th Michelle Hurrell and Kenalure Climbing Rose (Cocker Spaniel) (Not in photo)
- 1st Jodie Parry & Diva the Dark Destroyer (crossbreed)
- Eileen Lyons - Judge
- 2nd Lesley Harvey & Highcrest Pride (Labrador)
- 3rd Diana Boroda & Kentredecim Hearts Desire (Staffordshire Bull Terrier)
- 4th Barbara Slack & Pepperhill Crushed Ice (Sheltie)
- 5th Martyn Willcock & Murphy Magnus Lummox (WSD)
- 1st Ciaran Madine & Willow Tree Charlie (crossbreed) Handle (L to R)
- Eileen Lyons - Judge
- 2nd Jacquie Sliwinski & Zouki Do Where Are You (crossbreed)
- 3rd Diane Caroll & Miss Jessie Bess (WSD)
- 4th Michelle Dakin & Tatty Tedward (crossbreed)
- 5th Radana Stewart & Ozzy Princess of Darkness (crossbreed)
Questions and Answers
Q. Does my dog have to be Kennel Club registered to take part?
A. Yes. In accordance with KC Rules and Regulations, all dogs entering a KC Licensed event must be registered either on the Breed or Activity Dog Register.
Q. How can my dog take part ?
A. Dogs must be KC Registered and at least 6 months old to take part at KC Licensed Obedience show. Each dog must have obtained a minimum of it's Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme Bronze Award prior to the closing date of the show and the handler or dog must not have won a First Prize in Pre-Beginners nor gained a third place or above in any other standard obedience class.
Q. Does the stay exercise have to be on or off lead?
A. The stay exercise must be conducted off lead.
Q. Should the Play or Motivate Your Dog Exercise be conducted on or off the Lead?
A. This exercise can be conducted on or off lead at the discretion of the handler.
Q. Do I need to show my Bronze certificate on the day of the show?
A. No, although for verification purposes random spot checks may be made by the GCDS office either prior to or after the show date.
For further information and show details please contact:
The Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme,
1 - 5 Clarges Street, London WIJ 8AB
Telephone: 020 7518 1011
Fax: 020 7518 1050
email: GCDS Team