Why am I receiving this email?
Upon completing your Change of Ownership online with the Kennel Club, you may have received an email from us offering* you a free Transfer of Keepership for your dog’s microchip record. This offer will allow you the opportunity to keep your dog’s microchip details up-to-date in order to comply with the compulsory microchipping legislation, without having to pay a Transfer of Keepership fee. Contained within the email is a Redemption Code and expiry date.
What is compulsory microchipping?
As of April 2016, all dog owners in England, Scotland and Wales must have their dog microchipped and registered with a government compliant microchip database such as Petlog.
All puppies must be microchipped and recorded on a microchip database by the time they are 8 weeks old.
Any changes to a keeper’s contact details must be updated on their microchip database to ensure compliance with the law. If a dog keeper subsequently moves, changes contact telephone number, etc. then the dog is no longer considered microchipped under the new law and enforcement can be taken.
What is Petlog?
Petlog is the UK’s largest database for microchipped pets and is managed by the Kennel Club. It provides a dedicated customer care team and a 24/7 reunification service to help reunite lost pets with their registered keepers.
How do I claim the free Transfer of Keepership?
Please follow the steps provided in the email to complete the Transfer of Keepership.
During this process, you will be required to enter your pet’s Transfer Code (provided to you by the previous keeper) and microchip number. You will later be prompted to enter your Redemption Code (contained within the email) in order to claim the FREE Transfer of Keepership.
Please note that you must complete this process before the code’s expiry date (also contained within the email), otherwise the code will expire.
*This offer is subject to the following terms & conditions:
- This code is only redeemable through the Petlog Transfer of Keepership online service. You will need a valid Petlog Transfer Code provided to you by the previous keeper and the microchip number to complete the transaction.
- This code can only be used once and will expire on the expiration date provided on the email.
- This code is not transferable and can only be used for a dog.
- This code is not replaceable if lost, stolen or damaged.
- This offer may be revoked at any time for any reason by the Kennel Club Ltd.
- Use of this code constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.