Kennel Club statement
Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club, said: "The Kennel Club's deepest
sympathies go to Jagger's owners, who have received confirmation
that Jagger tragically died from the ingestion of poisoned
material, and we ask that their privacy is respected as they grieve
for their beloved pet.
"There has been a lot of concern about whether the poisoning
happened at Crufts and we are now able to reassure all dog lovers
who came to Crufts that this could not have been possible and it is
highly likely that the poisons, thought to be on a piece of beef,
were eaten in Belgium, shortly before Jagger's death.
"We have had confirmation, including from independent
toxicologists, that the poisons identified in the toxicology report
- carbofuran and aldicarb - are fast acting. Severe clinical
symptoms would usually occur within half an hour to three
"Considering we are told that Jagger showed the first clinical
signs usually associated with these two poisons shortly before his
death in Belgium, late on Friday 6thMarch night, leading to the
immediate call for veterinary attention, we must conclude that it
is inconceivable that he could have been poisoned at Crufts on
Thursday 5thMarch, some 28 to 36 hours earlier.
"Furthermore, the poison is thought to have been given on a
piece of beef that was still largely undigested when the autopsy
was performed on Saturday 7thMarch morning, and food is usually
absorbed in dogs within six hours.
"We must stress that despite reports to the contrary which have
caused a lot of concern to dog lovers, absolutely no dog has been
shown to have been sick at or after Crufts due to poison ingested
at the show, there are no veterinary reports or evidence to support
this notion, and no official reports of poisoning have been made to
"We have a lot of security measures in place to protect the dogs
at our show and we continually review our procedures because the
welfare and safety of the dogs is our first and main priority.
"Regardless of the fact that the poison was not ingested at
Crufts a dog has very sadly died and we must now respect the
owners' privacy and give them time to grieve."
Advice to dog owners
The Kennel Club has issued general advice to dog owners after
the tragedy of Jagger's death has raised awareness amongst dog
owners about the issue of poisoning.
Nick Sutton, Health Information Officer at the Kennel Club,
said: "Regardless of the specifics surrounding this particular
tragic incident, where Jagger's owners suspect malicious intent,
this tragedy has shone the spotlight very firmly on the issue of
poisoning. It is important that dog owners know that the majority
of poison related deaths and illnesses in dogs in the UK are
accidental. Some accidents could potentially be avoided if dog
owners were to be aware of the common household and garden items
that can be harmful to dogs, including chocolate, raisins, onions,
some pesticides and garden plants, detergents and many human
medicines and we urge people to read the Kennel Club's poisons
guide, on its website, so that people can be aware of how to avoid
the dangers and keep their dogs as safe as possible, to help
prevent other tragedies from occurring."
A toxicologist's view
Nick Edwards, Senior Information Scientist, Veterinary Poisons
Information Service, said: "We understand that the toxicology
report says carbofuran and aldicarb, toxic carbamate pesticides -
which are no longer approved for use in the EU - were found.
"We would expect the clinical effects, if ingested by a dog, to
be rapid in onset; normally between half an hour and three
"After this time a combination of clinical effects, if the
toxins were taken in sufficient quantities, would likely be
present, including weakness, collapse, diarrhoea, slow heart rate,
difficulty in breathing and excessive salivation.
"From the information available, it would be improbable that the
toxins could have been ingested on Thursday 5thMarch if the
first reported clinical effects that led to the call for veterinary
help, were around midnight on Friday night. We are told that beef
(which was reportedly laced with the carbamates) was still in the
stomach during the autopsy on Saturday 7thMarch. Veterinary experts
say that one would expect food of this sort to be digested within
about six hours. This suggests that the food was eaten shortly
About Aldicarb and Carbofuran
- Aldicarb and carbofuran are both carbimate insecticides which
are used in agriculture, but are not approved for use in the
- When an animal is exposed to these pesticides they bind to
specific enzymes found in the body and stop them from working
correctly. These enzymes normally break down acetylcholine, a
chemical found naturally in the body, which allows the muscle and
nervous system to function correctly. Following poisoning from
these insecticides, the faulty enzyme cannot break down
acetylcholine, causing it to accumulate and stimulate a number of
the bodies receptors.
- This stimulation can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, sweating,
salivation, weakness, breathing difficulties, fitting, heart
problems and sometimes death
Please find to follow a video news
TV journalists: B-roll footage is available;
please contact the Kennel Club press office. Video News release
will be uploaded on the Kennel Club website shortly.
Radio journalists: For audio please contact the
Kennel Club press office or visit