Be Dog Friendly, supported by dogfriendly.co.uk, is a campaign
run by the Kennel Club which aims to reward and encourage
businesses and public places across the UK to adopt a dog friendly
attitude towards the nation's 8 million dogs.
As dog owners we need to ensure that the experience of a
business or a public space welcoming your dog into their premises
is a positive one. Here is the correct 'petiquette' to ensure your
dog is welcomed again and again, make sure that:
- Your dog is clean and flee free before entering the
- Your dog is house trained.
- You always clean up after your dog - it is your
- Your dog is well trained and that it will sit, stay and come on
- Your dog doesn't disturb others by barking.
- Your dog does not jump up at or pester other people. Not
everybody will love your dog as much as you do.
- Dogs are allowed in areas that serve and sell food at the
proprietor's discretion but they must stay out of food preparation
- You do not allow your dog to touch other people's food.
- You take a pet carrier with you (recommended) when you are
staying somewhere overnight or for long periods. Turn it into your
dog's 'den', with his own bedding and personalised items, so that
he will settle down well.
- You keep towels handy to wipe muddy paws.
- You never leave your dog unattended or unsupervised.