All breeders who register their puppies, and new owners who
register ownership of their dogs with the Kennel Club, accept the
jurisdiction of the Kennel Club and undertake to abide by its
general Code of Ethics.
- Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under
their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and
- Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon who
performs an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural
conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section
on a bitch, may report such operations to the Kennel Club.
- Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which
may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable
- Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
- Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been
- Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in
any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
- Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a
nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
- Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and
will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from
- Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere
their dogs are being exhibited.
- Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of
a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog
if the initial circumstances change.
- Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and
give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in
a new home.
- Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are
provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and
will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the
earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
- Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet
dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize
or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by
sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand
alone items (not accompanying a dog).
- Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the
breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding
the health or quality of a dog.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club
membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or
reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as