The Assured Breeder Scheme is designed to promote good breeding practice and help prospective purchasers to identify those breeders who breed responsibly, with the health of the dogs and puppies a priority, and who take care in ensuring that their puppies go to suitable caring owners.
Members of the scheme are required to subscribe to a set of requirements, set out in our scheme "standard" which is designed to ensure that that the breeder continues to adopt good breeding practice, and subscribe to a set of rules and requirements, all of which are devised to assist the breeder in maintaining the standards set.
The full scheme Standard can be found here (PDF), but the fundamental requirements of the scheme are as follows:
- Ensure that all breeding stock is Kennel Club registered and hand over the dog's signed registration certificate at time of sale.
- Make health of breeding stock and puppies produced a particular priority and make use of health screening schemes, relevant to their breed.
- Allow their premises to be inspected and are assessed by a trained Kennel Club Assessor to ensure compliance with the Scheme Standard.
- Commit to operate to high standards and duty of care and comply with all relevant laws including the Animal Welfare Act (2006) and microchipping legislation.
- Only sell puppies bred by themselves and raised in their own safe and secure environment, which will meet all the requirements of the Assured Breeder Scheme.
- Socialise the puppies and provide written advice on continuation of socialisation.
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure that purchasers are able to provide a suitable home and that they are committed to caring for the dog for the whole of its life and provide reasonable after-sales advice.
- Allow any purchaser to be able to view the puppies with their mother and siblings, in the environment that they were born and raised.
- Commit to help, if necessary, with the re-homing of any dog that they provide within the Scheme, throughout the dog's lifetime, for whatever reason.
- Issue a Scheme Puppy Sales Wallet (see Puppy Pack (DOC)) for each dog sold containing up-to-date written information.
The Puppy Sales Wallet
Once an Assured Breeder's puppies are registered we will send the breeder a FREE sales wallet for each puppy registered with us. Puppy sales wallets are designed to hold all of the essential information that members are required to pass on to puppy buyers including written advice on socialisation, grooming, feeding, worming regime, exercise, training, breed tendencies and traits, immunisation regime, identification and a contract of sale.