The Assured Breeder Scheme Sub-group is one of four sub-groups
which report to the Kennel Club Dog Health Group. The ABS
Sub-group was formed in 2010 and currently has eight voting members
drawn from a variety of areas within the world of dogs including
the veterinary and behaviourist professions and the competitive
worlds of field trials and dog shows.
The remit of the Assured Breeder Scheme Sub-group is as
- The primary purpose of the ABS Sub-group is to safeguard the
impartiality of the Assured Breeder Scheme.
- To ensure impartiality at all levels including strategy and
planning, certification of its members and their ongoing assessment
- To act as an impartial unit which provides for the
participation of all parties significantly concerned with the
- To advise on the formulation of policy matters relating to the
operation of the Scheme.
- To oversee the running of the ABS, with particular regard to
the performance of the processes of admitting, monitoring and
excluding breeders from the Scheme, as well as the receipt and
evaluation of puppy buyer feedback.
- To make recommendations as to the husbandry aspects of the ABS
and to put into operation those health screening
requirements/recommendations agreed by the Dog Health Group and in
liaison with breed clubs/councils.
- To oversee the use of Scheme finances.
The members of the Sub-group are as follows:
In addition to the ABS Sub-group members listed above, there are
a number of Kennel Club staff members who also sit on the