Gundog Working Tests are competitions which, by artificially simulating shooting day conditions, seek to assess, without game being shot, the working abilities of the various breeds of Gundog.
Gundog Working Tests are run for any of the three sub-groups of Gundogs recognized by the Kennel Club as detailed below:
- Retrievers and Irish Water Spaniels
- Sporting Spaniels other than Irish Water Spaniels
- Breeds which Hunt, Point and Retrieve
The following classes of competition are recognized by the Kennel Club:
- OPEN. Open to all dogs of a specified breed or breeds, although preference may be given to dogs which have gained a place or certificate of merit at a Field Trial, been placed First, Second or Third in an Open GWT, or won a Novice GWT.
- NOVICE. Confined to dogs which have not gained a place or certificate of merit at a Field Trial, been placed First, Second or Third in an Open GWT or First in a Novice GWT held in accordance with Kennel Club Rules and Field Trial Regulations.
- PUPPY. Confined to dogs of specific breed or breeds less than eighteen months of age on the date of the test.
- UNCLASSIFIED. Open to all dogs of a specified breed or breeds, but may be restricted by conditions as determined by the society. To include Water and Team Tests. A Water Test can include dogs of any sub-group competing together. However, if dogs of more than one sub-group are competing as a Team, each sub-group will compete and be judged in accordance with the Kennel Club Gundog working Test Regulations relating to that group.
Kennel Club Gundog Working Test Weekend
Every year the Kennel Club organises a Gundog Working Test Weekend with Novice and Open Working Tests for each eligible sub-group. The event also features training sessions for both novice and advanced handlers, a Young Handlers Working Test and more recently an International Team Test for Retrievers. More information about this year's test weekend can be found by clicking on the link below:
The Kennel Club Gundog Working Test
Forthcoming Gundog Working Tests
Click to view Open Gundog Working Tests 2017
Gundog Working Test application form